Homemade Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup
I made this soup a couple of days ago using a recipe by Rachel Allen. Perfect for cold wintery days!
- About 8 ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 large red pepper cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic
- Leaves from 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 50ml double cream
1. Preheat oven to 200′C
2. Arrange tomato halves and red pepper chunks, cut side up, in a single layer on a baking tray and scatter over the onion, garlic, thyme and sugar. Drizzle over the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season well with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until softened.
3. Once cooked, tip the entire contents of the baking tray, including any juices, into a blender. Add the stock and blend until smooth, then pour into a large saucepan. Bring the soup to the boil, add the cream, reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes to heat through.
4. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with crusty tiger bread!
I tried my first bowl full of this soup for lunch yesterday, and the verdict was….. delicious!! Although I had been told I smelt of garlic a lot, so I might cut down on the garlic cloves next time!